Friday, April 17, 2009

A spontaneous get-away

We were in dire need to spend some quality time together. My husband realized he would have a 4 day weekend coming up and asked what I wanted to do. I knew immediately.

I got on the phone....

and booked 2 nights at a Bed and Breakfast called the Black Range Lodge in Kingston NM. We had never been there before, but heard that it was beautiful. The population of Kingston is 21.....yes 21 people! It is a cluster of historic houses nestled in the hills...away from everything. Pete and Catherine were amazing and interesting in everyway...we enjoyed their company and the bountiful breakfast of pheasant omelets, fresh orange juice, homemade bread and sourdough waffles with coconut syrup. My hubby and I enjoyed a 4 hour hike up the Black Mountain Range....surrounded by tall pine trees and crisp mountain air. It was a reminder that we really do enjoy each others company! We shared an MRE...which I had never had...and I was surprised how good it was.


That night we decided to go out for dinner. The nearest open restaurants were 45 minutes away in Truth or Consequences, NM. We stopped at one restaurant....and while we were walking up...a lady asked if we knew where the BellaLuca was at. We didn't, but had a newspaper with a local map and advertisements in it....we gave her the address and then decided to follow....and we are so thankful that we did. It was the most amazing food....the calamari was hands down the best we have EVER eaten....and in the middle of nowhere! It was tossed with yellow peppers, roasted bellpepper, some kind of oil dressing on a bed of red lettuce. We ended up eating there again the next day.


I also booked us a couple's massage at the Sierra Grande Lodge. We sat in our own private hotspring bath outside for 30 minutes and then had an hour massage....it was bliss. I love how professional they were and the inviting simple decor....it was very zen-ish. After everything was done...my hubby brought me a super dark chocolate truffle....


I am one happy gal.






1 comment:

Michael said...

Oooo, sounds like you had a great time. It's nice to get away every once in a while.